Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Personna X5 Razor Review

Personna X5
Brand: American Shave Company
Model: X5/M5
Bought at: Mustafa's
Cost: S$5.90 for handle and one razor

Rating: (out of 10)
Closeness: 6
Quality: 3
Look: 8
Value: 5



Personna is a subsidiary of Energizer Corp, the same company that owns Schick and Wilkinson Sword. Schick and Wilkinson Swords are essentially the same products, but different brands. Personna is the private label razor manufacturer for retail chains.

Like its sister companies' products, the Personna X5 looks slick with smooth lines, understated elegance, and easy-to-exchange cartridges.

But Personna does not use the same designs as Schick/Wilkinson Sword. This is not a good thing.
I characterize the X5 as a markedly inferior shave than Gillette or Schick, with more tugging from seemingly duller blade. The worst feature is that the hinge is exceptionally loose and mounted at the very bottom of the razor cartridge, which makes it difficult to put the right amount of pressure on sharp curve like my jawline. So perhaps it needs more pressure? Repeat tries with this razor resulted in the same things, unacceptably long stubble on my neck. So perhaps the floppy head is better used when it was dragged upward? Ugh. No razor burn. And the handle is a bit light, lacking a bit of heft so that one can steer it around your face.

I wanted so badly for the X5 to be good because it was inexpensive at S$2.47/cartridge. For me, this razor gets a failing grade because it simply failed at the basic task of shaving me without hurting me. So cheap or not, it is not for me.

I have an extra razor, which I am going to give away to a friend of mine.  I suspect that this razor will be ok for people with thin hair, non-sensitive skin, and who want to spend less on a razor but could not be bothered to use a DE safety razor. So perhaps I will update this after my friend's review.

And trust me; there are worse out there. An unremarkable shave is certain better than a bad shave.  The razor can be bought at Watson's as the house brand, online at www.americanshaveco.com, or Mustafa’s. Mustafa's is the cheapest. 






1 comment:

  1. Kit & Kaboodle is luxurious, best and famous interior designers in Pakistan, our interior designing company provides the best Interior design solutions in Pakistan.We promise to offer tasteful interior decor products that Furniture Shipping Information are in line with the popular international trends and keeping the unique taste of our clients as a priority ever Celebrate remarkable interiors for a delightful experience.the latest coffee table designs in Pakistan, our latest lamp, Chandelier and wall Lights in Pakistan and gives a corporate look in your interior.

    ReplyDelete